Friday, July 30, 2010

American Hero

TGIF! I made this card just in time for the Verve Project Parade this month. The theme is My Hero. I have a bunch of heros in my real life. I'm always amazed by the strength people have in various situations.

But the hero this card is going to is the soldier my family and I have adopted in Afghanistan. We send him cards weekly and a package monthly. It is really such a small thing to do, but makes us feel good, and is a great learning experience for our children. He actually sent us an email thanking us with a picture of his family, it was wonderful for our children to see him, it really gave them a sense of who was receiving the packages and cards we are mailing. Put a face with his name.

This has been my "go to" set for his cards. It is a newer set from Verve called American Hero. I was mainly doing red, white and blue cards, but after seeing the samples on the Verve Project Parade, I was inspired to change it up a bit. I used Wednesday's SCS sketch challenge (SC291) for the layout.

I hope he will enjoy this card and know how much his service means to us. Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Card Recipe:
Ink: SU Night of Navy, PTI Ripe Avocado
Paper: PTI Vintage Cream, Ripe Avocado, SU Night of Navy, October Afternoon Fly a Kite
Embellishments: nesties, sponges, dimensionals, MS seam binding, PTI button and twine, K and Co. rhinestones

7 comments:

Linda Palmer said...

What a great idea and a beautiful card. Love the sentiment and the colors you used. I am sure the kids will appreciate our soldiers more because of what you are teaching them so young. You are a wonderful role model for them.

Joanne Gilch said...

What a lovely thing you and your fam are doing for that soldier in Afghanistan! Your card is gorgeous.

Imke said...

Great colors and the saying is absolutely right for this card !

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Oh, this is such a lovely card, and I love the idea of adopting a soldier. So fabulous. Thanks for playing along with us!

Shelly Schmidt said...

This is such a great card- love the DSP.

Carrie said...

I really like this color combo. Fabulous card!

Anne said...

What a lovely thing to do Kathy, I'm sure he will love it